With that in mind, then, I offer you my Post Olympic Pledge:
- I will take pride in our country and I will work to be sure I can be proud of my own achievements
- I will take pride in those sportsmen, volunteers, musician etc who take pride in their own achievements and who are selfless in their praise and recognition of others
- I will recognise true achievement - winning really isn't everything
- I will honour those who are dignified in victory and in defeat
- I will engage with my neighbours and I will be interested in their stories
- I will encourage our media to use those who have worked to achieve as our heroes and celebrities
- I will look positively on the endeavours of passionate people
Because I am British, I do not expect to be able to achieve those things every day. I think, however, I might just be a slightly better person if I try.
I am now looking forward to the Paralympic Games to watch more committed, hard working, dedicated, focussed and dignified athletes. I just hope that our footballers have been watching closely and taking notes...