Thursday 25 October 2012

Noticing the Mood of the Market

There are times when lawyers really don't help themselves.

Anyone who knows me will know that I do not profess to be a marketing person. I like to think, however, that I understand how to judge the mood of my market place. Sadly it would seem that, at least, the legal press either don't understand the mood of the 'ordinary person' (i.e. not a lawyer), or that they have judged the mood of their market (i.e. lawyers) perfectly and it is the lawyers themselves who are out of step. Let's hope it is the later.

I am talking about a headline in "The Lawyer" today (see their full story here):

Perhaps I'm being over-sensitive. To me, however, when I read this I have a mental picture of a money-grabbing lawyer delighting in suffering in order to win large fees from (ideally unnecessary) lawsuits. let me stress that I am sure this is absolutely not the case at Reed Smith or Bakers - however it would be easy to get that impression from the rather delighted tone of the headline.

Perception is an important thing, and these sort of headlines really don't help. 

No comments:

Post a Comment